Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,050
Re: Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G

It sounds like your hypothesis (that either a D700 or a 58 f/1.4 might solve your issue of wanting a certain set of skin tones OOC, and giving you nice blurred backgrounds at a focal length shorter than 85mm) is only that at this point, and that you're asking for someone to confirm it. If that's the case, I don't think it would make sense to take anyone else's opinion into account. You need to try a D700 and/or the 58 f/1.4 for yourself, because the question you're asking is very much into the realm of personal taste.

There is a set of "D2X" picture controls available for the D700 (and for the D300, D3, and D3x) from Nikon Japan at http://nikonimglib.com/opc/. Those probably give colors more similar to D200 than the standard D700 controls. In my experience on the D300, I like this color palette better than the standard picture controls that come installed in the camera. You might see if you could borrow a D700 from a friend, or perhaps rent one, install these controls, and try them out. Unfortunately, Nikon hasn't yet offered a similar set of controls for the more recent cameras like D610 and D800. BTW, a similar set of profiles is available for Lightroom for the D700, so that you can shoot also raw with that body and then get something close to the D2x color set with a simple set of LR default processing.

Since you like the D200 colors so much, though,  I would have to wonder if a much less expensive lens such as a 50mm f/1.4g might not give you close to what you're looking for at a much lower price tag.

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow