Vibration of the A7R shutter compared to D3 and NEX-7 using a seismometer

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
DavieK Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Vibration of the A7R shutter compared to D3 and NEX-7 using a seismometer

There is a second issue to this, the reaction of certain OS/OSS lenses to the shake. I've just acquired a 28-70mm OSS - the one NOT being sold with the A7R - split off from an A7 kit and on initial tests I'd say the OSS is either not able to cancel out the brief vibration, or it is reacting at the wrong time.

All these new tests just confirm what I found almost immediately when checking lenses on the A7R, that there is a shutter speed zone (I said 1/60th to 1/160th approx) which is liably to produce shake.

The only conditions I do not get the shake are not below 70 or 80mm focal length, but below 20mm. The 10-18mm OSS seems to have reliable OSS with the A7R, but checking for example Min 17-35mm or Sigma 18-250 at 18mm, either the shake is so fine I can't see it.

In communication with Gary Friedman over this. I suggest that Sony has disabled the OSS function in the A7R with specific E-mount lenses, but not with others, because their engineers found the OSS reinforced rather than cancelled this brief shutter-shock reverberation. Gary doubts it. I've said that I bet Sony issues a firmware fix 1-2 months from now, and I also speculate that the delay in launching the 24-70mm CZ OSS is for the same reason - they saw problems and decided to launch the A7R as body only, or with 35 and 55mm primes only, rather than have quantities retailed with an OSS kit lens that produced image blur under certain very common conditions.

David

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow