My first wedding was yesterday Locked

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: My first wedding was yesterday

jimoyer wrote:

Midwest wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

And I was the guy who was out of line just the other day when trying to talk someone who had no experience shooting weddings out of doing one.

I personally would be most reluctant to take on someone's once-in-a-lifetime event and be responsible for properly capturing the occasion unless I knew that I was likely to do a truly good job of it. Too many people seem to think it's an easy way to make money. It's not so easy, and if you mess it up there's no way to reclaim the occasion.

What I am wondering is, if the OP's posted samples were the best he shot (I'm assuming so, that's why he would choose them to post) then what were the rest like?

I couldn't agree more, but at the time (in that thread), the general consensus was otherwise

I've seen numerous of those 'I have been asked to shoot a wedding' or 'I'd like to try wedding photography' threads and it seems some people think having the good camera and some lenses they will be up to the task. I think they over-estimate themselves in that regard, just as they seem to feel that they need the very latest camera / very best sensor / what have you to keep up with their flower, squirrel and duck photography.

It's probably harder to do good wedding photography than most other kinds because you have to spot the fleeting photo-ops on-the-fly, get the compositions right and be sure you are using the equipment properly to get the best results. I'm not a wedding photographer and I've no interest in trying it but I'd certainly not set out to shoot the event with a couple of primes. I think that was a mistake by the OP when a zoom would allow so much more flexibility in framing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow