Where are these points in these photos ?

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Questions thread
fotowbert
fotowbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,819
Hoods for binoculars

aSevenArr wrote:

Thanks for your reading help John, as you can see I'm still having a few issues there

I used black duct tape and thin cardboard to make two "hoods" for a very expensive pair of Swaro binos - friction fit is snug and they work a treat (and they don't look nearly half as bad as this must sound).

I had to extend their length twice but the resulting increase in contrast now is quite amazing.

(FTR: These are small pocket Swaro binos where Swarovski were probably more interested in keeping down their dimensions - my large Swaros are quite incredible and almost flawless).

You might want to consider a flexible approach to binocular hoods.

Some time ago I rubber banded thin black rubber petals to a full size pair because I was bothered by flair from overhead bright sun or stadium lights.  Like your experience the hoods had to extend out much more that one would think before becoming effective.  I found that by choosing just the right rubber the resulting curvature in the petal from the partial wrap was sufficient to hold the hoods out for use yet allowed them to be folded down for storage.  Now when the binoculars are pulled out of their soft pouch the hoods pop back up in place.

Sometimes DIY improvements actually work!  

• John 
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow