Michael Reichmann's take on smaller full frame Sony FE mount lenses

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,985
Re: It is about usability

dpreviewreader wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

An M43 user has decided that the smaller sensor gives him system size and weight benefits that he wants in exchange for less control over DOF and less ability to enlarge noise-limited images for viewing or printing at very large sizes. So it is sensible for an M43 user pick lenses that are "equivalent" in terms of field of view and exposure and ignore "equivalence" in terms of DOF or total light gathering (i.e., noise suppression).

An FF user on the other hand, must presumably want more DOF control and/or ability to print noise-limited images at larger sizes. If not, then why would such a user pay more for the large sensor?

Putting a slow lens on an FF camera in order to save size or weight seems kind of silly to me because it negates most of the advantages of the FF system.

And putting an FF DOF/noise-equivalent fast lens on an M43 camera is similarly silly since it negates most of the advantages of the M43 system.

Now I can certainly understand wanting to have one or two of these "silly" lenses to use in special circumstances, but in terms of the overall system and a collection of lenses they would surely be more the exception than the rule.

m43 needs to strive to be a system that can be used for serious as well as casual work. This means it should enable users to shoot a stop faster than FF in most situations. For this the f/2 zooms are imperative for the system to be complete, in addition to the telephotos that Olympus is working on.What is silly is insisting that m43 is only about size and nothing else.

I don't disagree that fast lenses are desirable in order to have a complete system that gives photographers options for specific situations.

But as a system, size and weight are the primary attributes that separate M43 from other, more capable systems such as those built around APS-C or FF sensors.   There may be particular cameras which excel at specific things, but cameras come and go while the system (i.e., your investment in lenses) remains.   Just because there's a terrific M43 camera available today doesn't mean there won't be an even more terrific APS-C or FF camera tomorrow.

So in terms of choosing a system, what other attribute than size/weight makes M43 an attractive choice?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
G L
G L
G L
G L
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow