Vibration of the A7R shutter compared to D3 and NEX-7 using a seismometer

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,040
Re: Vibration of the A7R shutter compared to D3 and NEX-7 using a seismometer

ferrellmc wrote:

Jefenator wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

FWIW I like the idea of the laser pointer test I read about on Luminous Landscape. Basically, you tape a laser pointer to the camera, aim it at a wall and if you can see the dot wiggle when the shutter fires, you might want to beef up your tripod.

In my test I discovered that mounting the camera on a tripod doesn't help the vibration. I added that graphic to the post. I used a Really Right Stuff carbon-fiber tripod and their ball head.

http://beforethecoffee.com/sony-a7r-vibration-comparison-with-nikon-d3-and-sony-nex-7/

When I first heard about the A7/R it sounded like a perfect world, lightweight, no mirror, lots of display info, no bright day lcd viewing probs, etc. So learning about the shutter slap is a bit disappointing. I've not used a D3, so no idea how much vibration that has, nor whether it is relevant in a test for a camera costing less than half as much.

An informal test I tried on my d300 was to do a 10 second exposure of a boat's navigation lights moving on a flat lake at night. That creates a calibrated line of vibration measured by the sensor. It doesn't isolate variables from the lake or people moving on the boat, but its a fun one to do.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow