Michael Reichmann's take on smaller full frame Sony FE mount lenses

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Re: He has a point

Clayton1985 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

Sure he has a point. What many here seem to miss is that it's about context not contest. The goal isn't to be the smallest camera or system and it isn't to be smaller than m4/3. The goal is to be smaller while providing some of the best IQ out there and if you don't have an agenda it's easy to see that Sony has done that.

It amazes me how many people choose to buy an E-M1 and then argue the size of the 24-70f4 vs the 12-40.... "I just bought one of the biggest and heaviest m4/3 camera+lens combinations but size is really important and at least my 12-40 is a couple of mm shorter than your 24-70" (even though total camera+lens size/weight is the same). The E-M1 actually proves the point better than any article can... size is only one consideration and it isn't always the most important one.

Depending on the lenses you use the size/weight advantage of m4/3 could be very significant or very insignificant. I'd be willing to bet that there are E-M1 + 12-40 owners here that rarely if ever use another lens and are here boasting about the m4/3 size/weight advantage....

Either I don't understand what you are saying or you have things all wrong. An EM-1+12-40 is substantially smaller and lighter than, say a D610+24-70.

Here's the size difference (with the Pany 12-35 though): http://j.mp/1l1iTKK

The D610+24-70 combo weighs 1660 grams

The EM-1 + 12-40 combo weighs 879 grams

Substantially smaller and lighter!

I was referring to the Sony A7r + 24-70 f4 at 837 grams and the same overall size as the E-M1 + 12-40.

Sorry about that - I guess I had not woken up fully yet this morning!

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
G L
G L
G L
G L
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow