"The full frame myth"

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
325East Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: "The full frame myth"

Last summer I ran a small, unscientific experiment.   I took identical (as possible) photos of a building with three cameras (Sony RX1 ff 24meg, Sony Nex7 APS-c 24meg and Pentax K-30 16meg APS-c) using good lenses.  All three shot in raw, processed in LR to my preferences and printed 13"x19" on good paper.  I put the prints up on a wall and for a month asked photographers and non-photographers alike what they thought of the differences.  Surprisingly most everyone thought they had all been shot with the same camera.  And when I said they'd been shot with three different cameras with very different specs, there was no consensus about which cameras took which picture.  Long time photographers were no more accurate than rank non-photographers in picking out what cameras took what picture.  The results show that at normal size enlargements it is hard for people to tell the difference between the output of these three cameras if you use good glass.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow