Focus & AFMA Tests: Use "Spot AF" or "1-Point AF"?
On the Canon 5D Mark III, should a user testing a lens for focus & AF micro-adjustment be using "Spot AF" or "1-Point AF" when shooting the target? In particular:
1) If I use the LensAlign ruler and properly setup my camera so that I see the red alignment dot through the hole, should I be using Spot or 1-Point to shoot that target?
2) I was reading Focal's PDF documentation and they specifically say that Canon cameras should use 1-Point and not Spot, but they don't give a reason why. Can anybody explain why?
3) Could anyone please explain in general how using either Spot or 1-Point could influence these lens focus tests? If there's a "correct" choice, what is the reasoning/mechanics behind how the "incorrect" choice might corrupt the test results?
4) When the lens is set to manual focus, is there any difference whatsoever in choosing Spot/1-Point/4-Point/9-Point/Zone/Auto/etc.? I thought I'd ask because on page 112 of the 5DM3 manual, the section called "Manual Focusing", it says "with 61-point automatic selection, when the center AF point achieves focus, the focus confirmation light [dot] will light up." This line gave me a little bit of pause because by mentioning the 61-point automatic selection system in the "Manual Focusing" section of the manual, they seem to be implying that the AF system is somehow still in effect?
5) Would a difference in ISO affect AMA results? For example if you shoot indoors and need to bump the ISO up a bit, will doing so skew/corrupt the focus tests?
Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Dec 19, 2013|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!