"The full frame myth"

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,227
"The aps-c myth"

KL Matt wrote:

"That brings us to APS-C and Micro Four Thirds. APS-C camera users, at least those whose cameras are of DSLR design, don't get much of a break. The cameras aren't that much smaller and lighter than Full Frame, and most people use full frame capable lenses, because to buy APS-C specific lenses locks you out of an eventual full-frame upgrade, and they aren't that much smaller and lighter in any event. Finally, few if any are of Pro grade."

This is what I've been lamenting for years. The K-mount only really makes competitive sense as a full-frame mount. That's true now more than ever.

Ricoh will be forced to make the move to a larger sensor and/or shorter registration distance sooner or later.

Agreed.

If you're carrying around an aps-c DSLR with lenses, you're not really seeing much of a size advantage, and if you buy aps-c-only lenses to try to eke out a little bit of a size bonus - you lock yourself out of an upgrade path you might want later. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

aps-c MILC, with the shorter register distance, or m43 MILC? Yes, there's a size advantage worth paying for. Otherwise, if you're shooting DSLR, might as well be shooting FF and get all the advantages.

This article could just as well have been entitled "The aps-c myth."

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow