"The full frame myth"

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: "The full frame myth"

I think full frame is misunderstood.  Many want it simply because they want the best, but what does it really offer you?

It offers 1 1/3 stop added flexibility.  That and the larger sensor generally gives sharper more detailed images (less enlargement and easier on the lenses for the same MP count).  So at base ISO it is often true that M4/3 (and honestly even 1/1.7" compacts) can be good enough for most people, and larger aperture lenses can help those camera do good at high ISO.

The issue with small sensor cameras is to get good results you need exceptional lenses and very large apertures to avoid diffraction.  Pentax Q is a good example, the 8.5mm f/1.9 is a great lens, but really peaks wide open due to diffraction, and the lens is still limiting the sensor.

Taking my A7 and using some older lenses like an Olympus OM 28mm f/3.5 and it performs way better with that lens than a 24 MP APS-C camera would.  I can't wait to try my Pentax 28mm f/3.5 as well, and also going to rent the FA Limited lenses.

I think many people think full frame is a myth until they use it, then they will either think, "What did I just spend $1000 extra on?" or "this is the best thing since sliced bread", depending on what their expectations are and how they use the camera.

Do I think APS-C is plenty for most people?  Sure.  Same with M4/3.  Same with 1".  Same with 1/1.7".  Why not give everyone a Q and call it good.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow