"The full frame myth"

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
LimitedAmatuer New Member • Posts: 11
Re: "The full frame myth"

Chris Mak wrote:

Great article on Luminous Landscape re full frame v. MFT v. APS-C

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/full_frame_myth.shtml

Dslr's themselves are already a myth, the camera in their mobile phone is all people need, they are just clinging on to old myths.

Seriously, who is to decide which and what is myth?
Fact is, that with Full frame, there is a larger surface to project the image on, putting less strain on the lens and sensor, and producing what FF lovers call an "easy drawing style". Apsc has sharper, more pronounced edges, that gives images often a harsher look. I have the K5IIs, a brilliant camera, but it cannot produce the natural and easy on the eyes images that FF produces with the better lenses.

But if you only define image quality in "sharp" and pixel noise, then yes, forget about FF by all means.

Chris

I'd never considered it like this. Yes. The images from FF sensors are much easier on the eye. I think this has a lot to do with lower noise at higher iso's too.

My K-5IIs with the pricier primes produces very sharp images. But I've rarely managed to get them to look natural. Sometimes it's a good idea in LR5 to reduce clarity to try and achieve a softer, smoother image.

I think the LUNA article completely misses your point and they're wrong about full frame especially when Sony are now producing a full frame sensor that's affordable (A7 and A7r) in a compact body. I reckon within the next three to five years there will just be camera phones and full frame ILC's with a few medium format cameras available to the professionals/wealthy.

I only have a couple of APS-C only Pentax K-mounts, a couple of UWA's, the rest are full frame compatible. I won't buy anything that isn't FF compatible now and haven't for the past two years.

LimitedAmatuer's gear list:LimitedAmatuer's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow