Best DSLR of 2013

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
LimitedAmatuer New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Best DSLR of 2013

Thorgrem wrote:

srock wrote:

Not for nothing, I was delighted to see that the small Pentax-Ricoh was represented in todays poll for 3/11 of the Best Cameras of 2013

Steve

I don't have a Pentax camera. But if I was in the market for buying a dSLR I would buy a Pentax for sure. For me it's a fact that Pentax makes the most rugged dSLR's (weather sealing even on the K30) and has the best range of APS-C lenses. If I would by Canikon I probable would have to buy FF lenses for my APS-C camera. That makes no sense to me. Another very strong point for Pentax is the fine line of limited lenses. Very small and a good build quality.

And what new did Canikon brought this year? Nothing worth mentioning.

Full frame lenses on APS-C makes a lot of sense. The sweet spot at the centre of the full frame lens covers the APS-C sensor giving excellent corner sharpness.

It's one of the reasons the FA Limiteds are so great on the K-5/K-3 series.

A lot of the DA primes (I think from the 35mm focal length and up) will cover full frame without significant vignetting, although I'm surprised Pentax hasn't really made it clear which ones do and I think it would be better for Pentax to demonstrate full frame compatibility of their DA lenses as APS-C only has a couple of years to run as a sensor format for DSLR's now. (Sony's producing inexpensive FF sensors).

As a K-5IIs owner I'm in two minds about the K-3. Does it offer sufficient advantage over the K-5IIs for that old weak point of autofocus? Does it improve on low light and higher ISO noise, that old weak point of the APS-C?

LimitedAmatuer's gear list:LimitedAmatuer's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow