G16 aperture range

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Questions thread
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,268
Re: G16 aperture range

Arkayem wrote:

Yes, I am a professional photographer shooting only DSLRs, and I currently shoot with a Nikon D800. I am looking for a good small camera with high quality raw image capability to lighten my load when I travel.

I did not realize that a small sensor camera gets that much greater depth of field with f/8 compared to a DSLR.

What Teppo told you is correct.  Small sensor cameras have much greater depth of field for a given aperture than your full frame dSLR's.  f-8 is a very small aperture on the G16, and is only about 1mm in diameter.  It would be tough to make a smaller aperture and control it in fact.

Not only that, but since diffraction is a function of the edge to area ratio  - at f8 we are already into fairly heavy diffraction on these small cameras.  You don't want to go smaller than that actually.  Sharpness would suffer greatly going any smaller.

The reason why the great depth of field, is that for the same field of view, the focal length of the lens is much less than you are used to and varies from 6.1mm to 30mm for an effective focal length of 28-140mm.  That means the crop factor is about 4.6 for this sensor.  It also means that you can effectively multiply the DOF that you can get at f8 by 4.6 also for a comparative aperture of f-36 on your D800.  That should give you ample DOF.

And now you know the rest of the story. 

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow