Might need to reconsider my Sony A7?! Need some guidance

Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PeterTX Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Might need to reconsider my Sony A7?! Need some guidance

I recently got the Sony A7, it is sitting in a box here with me. I love the size and the kit lens (despite all the criticism).

However I realize that there don't seem to be any reasonably priced lenses (with AF) anytime soon. Just saw a statement yesterday where the 70-200 Sony G lens would be priced at $1499. So far there is no prime for it below $800 as well. So the set upI look for would be the kit lens, a prime (with AF and preferably with OSS) and a telephoto lens.

However if I don't use a crop lens, the 55-210 (which won't be able to use the OSS per Sony's information) I am looking at another total cost of $2300 for two lenses for my A7 with the kit lens.

I have today the Canon 28-135 and 50mm 1.4 so if I went the 6D route and added a telephoto lens for $350 after rebate I would get the set up I want for the cost of the A7 with kit lens or less.

I am not a professional, I like to take travel photos, low light and family pictures and the odd telephoto or kid playing soccer picture. Although I love(!) the size and feel of the A7 including picture quality I can not justify spending another $2300 to get a tele photo lens and a prime.

So what would be my options? I need to be able to use AF and if I get a Canon lens 70-300 and use a converter (same for the 50 mm) my understanding is that it would be extremely slow AF which means very hard to take a bird or kid photo. plus the whole set up would be just as big as the 6D and use that natively. I would see the two canon lens to offset but they wouldn't get me more than $300 so still talking another $2k.

So do i have any other options? Please advice!

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow