LX7 First Shot

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Peter-D Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: LX7 First Shot

Goldilocks56 wrote:

Lovely shot. I have a question for LX7 users. I have had the camera for over a year. I purchased it because it has raw, a fast lens and extra wide lens for a compact camera. I have not been able to process the raw images to look better than the in camera jpegs. The in camera processing has a sharpness and a noise reduction that I can not even come close to by processing myself. I have used Siky Pix 3.1, 4.1, Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS 5 camera raw, and Photomatic Pro tone mapping. Has anyone been able to develop an image close in quality to the in camera processing? I have developed raw images from the following cameras with superior results: Canon s70, Nikon d5000 and Nikon d90. It has been bugging me to find development parameters that will give me a better image from raw. Has anyone had success in developing good quality images from Raw on the LX7? I would really appreciate your input.

I only shoot raw because I like to develop my own image. As for success in processing raw images I think that is a relative thing. If a jpeg works for you I'd leave it at that. Remember that the LX7's sensor much smaller than your Nikons and there's simply less image data on the Lumix. I think that digital photography has influenced how images are percieved in that there seems to be an infatuation with sharpness. For this reason alone I shoot raw as I don't want my entire image sharpened by the camera. I'll sharpen it as I want it, adjust saturation etc., etc. The greatest benefit of the raw file is the added dynamic range which is hugely important when your image was not shot properly (exposure). In this case and to a reasonable extent, you can "retake" the shot in raw editing with exposure, levels, shadows, highlights etc etc. A good exposure, raw or jpeg is good and does not require serious consideration.

It comes down to understanding what your camera can do, what it can't do. I would try to shoot some images using the bracketing mode and edit some of the under and overexposed images both raw and jpeg and I think you'll then see how effective the raw file can be. In the end if your Jpegs are good then leave it be.

Peter-D's gear list:Peter-D's gear list
Nikon D700
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow