Canon efs 60 macro lens

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
RS_RS Senior Member • Posts: 1,788
Re: Canon efs 60 macro lens

Jeff Peterman wrote:

The thing is that if you drop the 1:1 requirement, you can call any lens a "macro" lens and no one will really know what it means. Over the years, there have been a number of macro zooms that in reality couldn't get a close subject any larger than an equivalent zoom lens that wasn't marked as macro.

That's certainly true, and Canon have been among the offenders, for example with the 24~105.

Yes, few will really use the 1:1 end, but if you know that macro means 1:1, then you know the lens can do 1:2, 1:3, etc.

… except for the MP-E 65, of course :-)… Granted it is just a matter of semantics, but a case could be made for ×0.5 as the criterion. I have just bought the 24~70/4 for botanical fieldwork (with my eyes open to its limitations/defects). It is already clear to me that it is not going to be easy to take advantage of ×0.7 or anything close to it because of the very short working distance, but even so I am sure there will be plenty of occasions when it will save me from having to carry a separate macro lens.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow