Nothwistanding the Pentax users' s hunger for long tele...

Started Dec 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,578
in a nutshell...

Gary Martin wrote:

And it's arguable that a FF Pentax body (and lots of other missing elements) are needed to increase Pentax market share - and I'm saying that as someone who's fine with APS-C. Yes, lots of Pentax users are about bang-for-the-buck, but then Pentax has plenty of expensive products in their lineup that don't exactly jibe with that either. I agree that a FF body won't do it alone, but right now Pentax is a small player and Ricoh will need to change that before Sigma will offer too many high-end products in K-mount. And Tamron and Tokina have been AWOL with Pentax for years. It will take lots of new product from Ricoh - including a FF body - to make a serious push into a bigger market share. And that will inevitably lead to greater 3rd party support.

This is the conundrum Ricoh faces.  They are a minor player.  There is no way they will be successful trying to compete on ALL fronts.  The spectrum is too broad today.

Canon and Nikon have a luxury Ricoh does not - they can offer products at a huge margin to their professional user base and thus get profitability out of those items to offset smaller-margin offerings in the consumer line.  Consider canon's 35mm 1.4 vs the sigma.  Consider the prices of the 400mm 2.8 IS II and 300mm IS II lenses.  Those are 2 lenses that every media outlet will eventually buy as their older 300mm and 400mm lenses age out.  Same with the d4 and 1dx bodies.  And other gear.  Imagine Pentax trying to sell a $545 flash (nikon sb910).  They're not going to get away with it.

My point is - Ricoh/Pentax doesn't have the luxury of all those high margin items without the professional base to consume them.  So, they have to pick their battles.

Clearly they're unlikely to try and compete with 1dx / d4 and the full-time pro market.

So, if they jump into full-frame they have to do it with offerings the enthusiast will buy.

At the same time they have to consider mirrorless and what that means to the future of photography.

As a small player, they can't compete in all segments and succeed - no different than any other type of market.  I think they need to embrace the roll of a niche provider - the key to their future is betting on the "right" niche.  Canon and Nikon can hedge their bets.  I don't think Ricoh can - they need to decide in the next year what market they want to pursue

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow