Canon efs 60 macro lens

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,248
Re: Canon efs 60 macro lens

RS_RS wrote:

I have a 60/2.8 along with several other macro lenses for FF and 1.6-factor. The 60/2.8 is an excellent lens, convenient in use and with outstanding image quality. It has two minor limitations. First, it has no focus limiter switch, and so when it cannot immediately find focus it may rack over the entire focus range, which can be inconvenient for general-purpose use. Secondly, it does not accept a tripod ring, which makes shooting on a tripod slightly less convenient – an L-bracket is a help.

Hmm... I wonder why a tripod ring is needed in that small lens. WHy not just mount the camera on the tripod here?

Then there is one major omission, the lack of IS – but that's the way it is, take it or leave it. It has a built-in mounting ring for Canon macro flashes, and because the filter size is only 52mm you can fit a filter and still fit a macro flash directly to the lens.

This is certainly an excellent choice as your first macro lens, and has reasonable working distance and angle of view, similar to a 100mm lens on FF. You should realise, however, that for many insects it has inadequate working distance – they will have gone by the time you are close enough. That is even true of a 100mm lens on a 1.6-factor body, and you should just accept it as a limitation until you have enough experience of macro work to consider how to overcome it.

To the OP: I would also have a look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 VC, which is rather small, but does have VC (= image stabiliser)

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow