The best DX camera in the world

Started Nov 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,843
Re: The best DX camera in the world

Nikon Convert wrote:

The D7100 is a great camera, but the extremely poor buffer is a real drawback and the smaller body size is a turn off for many.

I am absolutely certain that Nikon can no longer overlook the fact that the best DX DSLR in the world would be the most cost effective, most profit bearing and most eagerly anticipated product that they could possibly bring to the market.

Let us fantasy-design this hypothetical D400:

It looks like a D300. It has perhaps 18 or 24 megapixels, 6-7 fps, and, perhaps most importantly, a class-leading frame buffer. Dual SD slots. The usual video and liveview suspects. And while we are at it, built-in wifi and GPS.

By any credible analysis, the retail price of such a body would be $1999 US.

I'm sure some people would be interested. We can argue about whether those numbers would be bigger or smaller than the market for the Df, but I think we can all agree that the numbers would be small relative to the D600, 6D, a7. The value proposition is simply not there. I can imagine the reviews already...

It makes more sense for Nikon to come out with a D7300 with improved buffer and maybe GPS-wifi. Features which don't add much to the manufacturing costs, but would satisfy most of the remaining D400 holdouts.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
GPW
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow