This article should be read by everybody

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
artlmntl Senior Member • Posts: 1,804
We can't conclude anything from this.

K E Hoffman wrote:

Get this I am not complaining about my A77 NOR am I someone who thinks that given DR and color accuracy of Sony cameras.. that they should chase Nikon on noise measures..

But I also get really tired of made up facts.. Smaller pixels on the same size sensor have a cost..Not a myth but not the tragedy some would make it.

in the A77 vs A57 its about 2 more stops of very high ISO where detail is retained more that will not come back in scaling. [Watch the Rose in a medium light area]

ISO 6400

ISO 6400 There is detail being lost by A77 that will not come back scaling to 16 MP.. but for real world use you could still get a good web or 5x7 print

ISO 12800

No contest the 16 MP A57 is at least one stop better in detail than the A77.. PP and scaling will still get a reasonable image out of A77.. Probably good enough for most sports or news photography

ISO 16000

This shot a57 amazes me.. I can still see detail in the 16 MP shot that is gone for good from the 24 MP shot. If I shot 16000 ISO a lot I would want an A57 body along for the ride. Even the well lit high contrast paper clips are being welded together in A77 Noise.

Thus we conclude the academic attempt to say Mega Pixels don't have a ties to noise , unless you all call your eyes a myth.. now can we get back to arguing over the value of mirrors and OVF?

I think something is not right with these A77 test pictures. I downloaded and converted the RAW files myself using the same settings. The A77 pictures look underexposed and the noise looks crunchy, even amplified. Downsampling does not produce parity. These A77 RAWs look horrible. If you go by these test pictures, the A57 has a huge advantage in high iso performance, but I'm not sure you can go by these. If you told me the sensor in the A77 DPR used for these tests was defective, I'd probably believe you. I'd like to know why this seems so screwed up. I'd like to see some other comparisons shot with different sample cameras using same lens, settings and setup.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow