Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP NewGirlLiz Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

Wow - thanks for so many replies on this. It's all really useful.

On balance, I have decided to go with the 12-50 mm for now. I know that it is not the better lens, but for me at this point I think it is the one that I'm more likely to have a better time with - mainly because I just found the 12-40 so bulky and heavy as to be off-putting.

I know that I've gone straight to the top of the pile with my new camera, which for a novice might be silly in some people's eyes, but I spent weeks researching and then at least half a day in the shop trying out my shortlist of six, and the EM1 was by far the one I wanted. But because I am new to the whole idea of interchangeable lenses, I've found that a harder decision to make. So I'm going with the easier, lighter option and when I've got myself comfortable with the camera and its workings and I have a better idea of the kind of photographer I want to be, I will arm myself with all the lenses that feel appropriate at that point.

Thanks again for all your help

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow