This article should be read by everybody

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
tbcass
OP tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,756
Re: Both sides have a point.

artlmntl wrote:

The thing is, if we buy a large-resolution camera, that indicates we plan to crop into the pictures or some way use the pictures larger than we would the lower resolution image. If not, why bother? And that is the point where I think the article comes up a little short.

You are partially right and with a worse case scenario it only means that the extra resolution is wasted. The low res advocates are trying to claim that the lower res sensors have better high iso IQ and less noise than the high res sensors which is not true one bit. What I have come to understand using both the 16mp and 24mp Sony sensors is the 24mp has better IQ at iso 800 and below while at iso 1600 and above the 2 sensors are essentially equal so IMO you lose nothing IQ wise with the 24mp sensor. I regularly crop shots at iso800 and below up to 100% and get outstanding results. I do this because of the limitations of having a telephoto zoom that extends only to 300mm. So far it's allowed be to avoid buying a longer expensive lens.

Two images shot with cameras with same size sensor (1", APS-FF, etc) downsampled to the same size will look similar as long as all the other shooting parameters are about the same. But when you start using the larger resolution images to actually provide more resolution, you also see the noise more clearly. This is your point, I think.

Whether this is a problem depends on the character of the noise. Nordstjernen touched on that idea, too. I think, if noise occurs as a fine grain, it's less a problem than if the noise is blotchy. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Hunter

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow