Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
tgutgu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,103
Re: Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

guido1953 wrote:

Hello New Girl:

IMO, I would not not have gone from a P&S to to the EM1.

Why not? The E-M1 has first class ergonomics, an excellent, large view finder, and is very robust. To me an ideal camera for someone coming from P&S and who wants to get more serious with photography.

I am not knocking the image quality of an EM1, however, IMO, it defeats the best feature of the m43 format. This format is so small and easy to carry around. The EMI with a 12-40 is a lot to carry for a day of shooting.

Have you carried that camera in reality? The E-M1 is the size sweet spot for a system camera IMO. Not too small so that you have to fiddle with flimsy controls and a lot smaller and lighter than comparable DSLRs. If someone needs a pocketable camera, he should get a compact. For that purposes, a system camera is overkill.

I would have started with the Olympus E-PL5 and kit lens. Very cheap. They are selling on Fred Miranda for $425.00. This camera is so light and easy to cary around. The image quality is exceptional. I own one, no more excuses not to take the camera.

Perhaps, not everyone wants to take pictures every time and everywhere? I would not give up the ergonomics of the E-M1 in favor for the flimsy controls of an E-PL5.

If, after learning the camera and improvements in your photographic abilities you could then purchase the 12-40 lens. You might decide Olympus is not for you and can get a Panasonic body.

And what advantage would a Panasonic body give?

Learn photography and then invest in some good glass after you decide which camera makers lenses, bodies, and flashes meets your requirements for the type(s) of photography you like to do.

The E-M1 should not leave much to be desired for any types of photography. The OP should not get confused. He has a versatile tool. If that tool is too large for some purposes, he might get a smaller additional body later on with the same mount. The flexibility of being able to use totally different body concepts with the same camera mount, is a unique and the key advantage of m4/3. It is not the absolute size, but the size in relation to functionally similar  DSLRs and other cameras (if we only consider camera bodies.)

Best Regards,

John

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow