Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,586
Re: Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Hi guys

Cheers!

I know that you guys are mostly pros or very serious photographers, so I know that most of you would choose the 12-40 every day of the week - but my question is, do you believe that for ME, the difference between the two lenses is worth the extra bulk, weight and cost? If it is, I'll happily go with the 12-40, but if the difference in quality really won't be obvious at my level, I'd prefer the 12-50.

That is a question that by definition only YOU can answer. And since you've tried them both, you have all you need to make up your mind.

If it were me I'd take the advice by honeyiscool and go a little further. I'd dump the zooms altogether and replace it with a set of 3 ~F1.8 primes, like the 17mm Oly, the 25mm Oly (on the works) and the 45mm.
Another option (more suited to my case, as I'm much more into wide angle and run on a smaller budget) would be the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye, the 20mm F1.7 Panny and the 45mm F1.8 Oly. I happen to own the first and last lenses on this list and I firmly believe they provide the best portability and value for money on m43 right now.
The amount of light gathering ability, the added portability, and the amount of isolation control are well worth loosing the weather sealing altogether (which I hardly ever use in Portugal). There are plastic camera covers for that. They work reasonably well and don't cost an arm and leg.

But that's if it was ME!
Best of luck on your decision, either way you've got very happy times ahead!

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow