This article should be read by everybody

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103
Re: Hard to bust the large vs small pixel myth

Allan Olesen wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

noise up-scaling will not CREATE noise that was not there.

No, but the larger each pixel is in the final, magnified photo, the more you will see its noise.

You don't have to agree with me. If you want, you can just continue being wrong.

Or I could continue to be right..

Of course there are lots of variables... how intense is the noise.. what is the actual algorithm used to scale ether way.

IF there is a red noise npixel ext to a grey noise free pixel.. and I scale down

I would expect to get an average.  If there are lots of gray pixels around the red may vanish. when I scale down.

When I scale up.. If there is one red I a Sea of Gray.. it won't turn it into a big blog of 4 red pixels.

Is it smart enough to spot the one bad pixel.. as even a point source of light or color will because of AA filter spread so it might even scale up and drop or moderate what was the bright red pixel.

Scaling has variables etc.

Problem comes when I have populations of red green and blue noise .. do they merge, to they average out etc.

A 24 MP image from an APC of the same generation will start to get muddy when we go above ISO 6400.EVEN SCALED>... it will look much better on the FF 24MP.. same scaling.. difference? Larger pixels more signal per pixel and across the sensor vs the noise..at the pixel and across the sensor.

We  can keep pretending.. we get more MP on the same sensor and it has no costs..but it does.. but luckily we haven't hit a point where that cost can't be reduced by better designs.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow