This article should be read by everybody

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,103
Re: Hard to bust the large vs small pixel myth

Allan Olesen wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

If you print to the same size less than 11x14 etc does it tend to smooth out.. yes. as you make larger prints or CROP the noise will not be smoothed out.

It is not only downsampling which levels the playing field between low and high MP sensors. The principle is exactly the same in upsampling/enlarging:

If you have the same amount of per pixel noise in two photos with different pixel count, and you enlarge both photos to the same size, the photo with the fewest pixels will have more visible noise.

So you can choose to see the lower per pixel noise of a low MP sensor as an advantage. But in reality, the lower per pixel noise is necessary to outweigh the disadvantage which it has when you scale the photo to its final size.

I don't agree...

If I down sample 4 gray pixels into one.. and one was more red than gray.. I will get a gray pixel with a much more subtle warm cast depending on how the system averages the data.

If Upscale One grey pixel to 4.. One of them will not suddenly become RED like we see in Chroma noise up-scaling will not CREATE noise that was not there.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow