This article should be read by everybody

Started Dec 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,103
Re: Hard to bust the large vs small pixel myth

Nordstjernen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

" Resolution doesn’t increase noise

Increasing resolution (MPixels) for a given sensor size has no direct impact on image noise. In fact, some of the lowest noise cameras (Nikon D800, Nikon D3x, Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000, Sony Alpha 580) have relatively high resolutions. See Figure 1a."

I think the myth that large pixels gives a cleaner image for sensors of a given size will live on for years. My question is: Why trade resolution for nothing?

There will still be a lot of posters crying for lower res sensors, thinking that insane high ISO settings that is never used for real life photography would look cleaner!

Physics is still physics.. less light to vs base system noise on smaller pixel more noise is seen.

We are getting to the place where the pixel count is not adding to the image because most of the lenses can't handle it.

Even the charts all bear it out in the article.  The APC sensors are noisier than the FF and you will find that the FF tend to have larger pixels if it didn't matter the measure would be the same for a 25 MP A99 and A77.. its not.

What the article almost obfuscates (it mentions it. then dismisses it) is that the fact that the rule is "broken" so often has to do with all the the other variables.. New Sensor Technology and camera design.. etc that allows an A77 to have a better noise rating that the A700 did.  Would not happen if it were the same generation sensor but double the pixel count.

And yes Printing / scaling creates system that averages out noise in most cases..

But a 16 MP A77 with the same sensor technology would have less noise..  I think we have seen that in the sony line.

If you print to the same size less than 11x14 etc does it tend to smooth out.. yes. as you make larger prints or CROP the noise will not be smoothed out.

I also enjoyed the chart where is said 20 MP cell phone camera couldn't happen - Tell that to Nokia with the Lumia 1020 at 41 MP.  NEVER SAY NEVER related to technology.. odds are you will get burned.

Yes you can't assume a higher res sensor will have more noise than another lower res camera or the previous model.. but it would have more than a sensor with the same design and larger photo reception sites.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow