Pitching a Q against a Ds: How technology progresses

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,396
Pitching a Q against a Ds: How technology progresses

Well, this comparison isn't scientific at all, but as I assembled a pano taken inside Cologne Cathedral today I found a quite comparable picture taken seven years ago, in July 2006 with my Ds. Back then I took three portrait oriented shots with my Ds and DA16-45@16mm at ISO 3.200, f4, shutter speed varying from 1/20s to 1/30s, and assembled them very clumsily and with glaring faults to a vertical pano.

Today I did almost the same scene, but with my Q and 01 prime, 1/60s, ISO ranging from 2.500 to 1000 (was set on auto), f1.9, using several more landscape oriented shots; also pano assembly was a bit more successful.

Have a look at the resulting panos, arranged more or less to the same size:

Of course the Q had the advantage of the f1.9 lens (vs. f4.0 for the Ds), but the Ds had an definitive advantage in sensor size (368.95 square mm against the Q's 28.46 - almost 13 times larger; for more figures see here: http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/pentax_q-vs-pentax_ist-ds/). Since the pictures are not scaled beyond the Ds sensor's resolution of 6MP here, I think the side by side comparison is - all taken into account - not too unfair. Especially since the shooting conditions were very similar.

My point here is: I was very happy with my Ds back then, and now - seven years later - I'm very pleased to have a system camera with comparable, in some situations even better qualities in my coat pocket.

So even if every modern APS-C Pentax like the K-01, K-30, K-5(xx)(-II)(s) and K-3 blows the Q away with their sensitivity and quality - the Q is definitely usable, as the Ds was back in 2006.

BTW: If you're interested in yet another rendition of that pano and some other very moody pictures inside and outside the cathedral - all taken with the fabulous, somewhat crazy, incredibly tiny 07 mount shield lens for the Q - take a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52687234.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow