Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zensu11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542
Re: Olympus EM1 with 12-50mm or 12-40 f2.8 for complete novice?

mgnff wrote:

Go with the 12-40mm f/2.8. Camera bodies come and go, the lenses on the other hand will stay with you for a long time. Always go for the best quality lenses that you can afford.

Generally this is very good advice but from your post (reading between the lines) I have a feeling you prefer the 12-50 zoom which is much lighter and easier to carry. I've owned both and gave up the 12-50 in order to get the 12-40 and I don't regret it. It comes down to what you are comfortable with. My copy of the 12-50 was very good but I wanted a faster (f2.8) zoom with closer focusing across all focal lengths. I come from a Nikon DX background with their best DX lenses (17-55 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 105VR f2.8). Both lenses will give very good results but the 12-40 will allow much more comparable prints to DX. Coming from a different photography background your needs might be different. If you are happy with the quality of prints from the 12-50 zoom I would say you have answered your own question. Good luck in whatever you decide!

PS, the 12-50 zoom has an excellent macro setting!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow