Exceptional glass

Started Dec 4, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Isherwood
Isherwood New Member • Posts: 12
Exceptional glass

This lens is something else. I have some good lenses but when I looked at my first photos with this one I was worried I'd end up cutting my retina - it is sharp. I have yet to test it properly on my Pentax K-3 but the indications are that this is maybe the only lens I have that will consistently deliver the full capabilities of its sensor.

It is of a very solid polymer construction & pretty chunky. The hood has an extension for use with APS sensors & the full deal on my Pentax K-5 is physically impressive. Most of the time I like to be discrete but sometimes one wants to look like A Proper Photographer & this lens works very well for those situations. For portraiture one needs the subject's full attention & this lens demands it; I have a lovely old 9cm Elmar that takes great portraits but it doesn't pull the subject's eye. The lens is also very useful for candid close shots across a large room.

Depth of field can be very shallow so focus is critical, but the subject isolation this gives has worked wonderfully with the near planes of the subject's face crisp & the background smoothed away to an abstract representation. I was worried that a 'perfect' lens would yield somewhat clinical images but the results are generally warm & rich & always with a good 3D feel.

The only negative point I've found is that the lens's motor is noticeably slower at focusing than the K-5's motor, not significantly slower but it's there.

If only all my lenses were this good.

Isherwood's gear list:Isherwood's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +14 more
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha • 320
Announced: Feb 20, 2010
Isherwood's score
Average community score
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow