The Lens You Wish Nikon Made

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick_Hunter Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Re: The Lens You Wish Nikon Made

Well, two of them.

A wide prime like 20 or 18mm that's light and pocketable, takes normal sized filters and has great corner to corner sharpness. Doesn't have to be fast. F/3.5 would be enough.

I love my 14-24 but it's a beast to lug around and it doesn't take filters. The 16-35 F4 VR solves the filter issue but has loads of distortion and is certainly not significantly smaller nor lighter.

A DECENT 50mm 1.4 that's actually USABLE at 1.4 without costing a fortune. I have the 50mm F/1.4G (tried multiple copies) and it just sucks wide open: soft, low contrast, lots of CA, kinda harsh bokeh... It gets decent by F2 and good by F2.8... but what's the point of getting a 1.4 lens that should not be used at 1.4 because of poor performance wide open? I refuse to believe that the only way to have a decent normal 1.4 prime is spending 1800 bucks... I guess we'll have to rely on Sigma for this one...

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EKB
(unknown member)
EKB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
EKB
EKB
EKB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow