Df disappointment

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,157
Re: i don't think there is a

ultimitsu wrote:

slimandy wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

Or everyone will thank me for using dual card slots? Ditto.

Your daughter will after your card fails after her engagement party.

I don't have a daughter. If I did I'm sure she'd forgive me while I used my other camera.

See, this is where you keep missing the point. You would not know the card is corrupted while your shoot. Card corruption is generally only discovered when you unload images to your computer.

I had it happen once, and it was apparent in camera. I didn't lose any shots though, I recovered them all with software. Other than that, never had a problem of this nature.

but lets take your point (even though it was missing the point) further. you appear to suggest that if you noticed issue with your Df and the card during the shoot, you just switch to another camera. Isnt that good argument against such a need? If Df had 2 slots, then you would not have to use a different camere.

But I already own more than one camera and I like to shoot with more than one at events. I would happily use a DF and have my D700 as back-up or with a different lens. If my main camera had 2 slots I'd still have a second body with me.

It was a pointless analogy in the first place.

It is the bang on analogy and your run-flats supports the idea perfectly. Cameras have second slots for the same reason as cars and spare or run-flat tyres. Just because you have experienced an incident that requires the back up doesnt mean it is pointless.

I didn't say the second slot was pointless, just that it's not a big deal;

See, now you are changing your position. Earlier you basically implied you think it is pointless - even though technically you did not spell it out.

No, I am not. I said I don't need it, I never said it was pontless. I said it would not stop me from buying the Df.

it wouldn't affect my decision to buy a camera or not.

No one is arguing with your the right or wrong of that view. You are arguing the point of redundancy.

Again, no. I am arguing it wouldn't stop me using the Df.

What is pointless is comparing it to something on a car that is important enough to be required by law.

No. It isnt. The purpose of the analogy was to illustrate that "doesnt happen often" isnt a good reason to assert redundancy is completely unnecessary. whether spare tyres are legal requirement is irrelevant.

And you are wrong on the legal requirement front too. Spare tyre is not universally legally required.

AA: "You don't have to carry a spare and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away."

Ok, thanks for the correction. I don't carry a spare anyway because I use run flats, but I would expect a car that needed a spare to have one.

Either way it has no relevence to which camera I use. I would guess the % of cars that carry spares (or use run flats) is probably very similar to the % of cameras that DON'T have second card slots.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow