The Lens You Wish Nikon Made

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,559
Re: The Lens You Wish Nikon Made

I was waiting for two lenses, a DX 60mm and a new version of the 80-400mm zoom. With DX cameras there was no equivalent in a prime to the 85mm f1.4 lens on a film or FX camera. Now there is the 58mm DX lens which is close enough only 10 years too late. It should have been released soon after the D1 cameras.

Nikon after more than 10 years finally updated the 80-400mm VR I lens which was a mediocre lens in every respect. Nikon replaced the 80-200mm f2.8 with the 70-200mm f2.8 VR I and then the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II as well as the 200-400mm VR I and the 200-400mm VR II lenses while completely ignoring the 80-400mm lens. I was sorely tempted to get a Canon camera so I could use the excellent Canon 100-400mm IS zoom lens.

At this time I would like to have a FX travel lens with a zoom range of 50mm to 150mm that was half the size and weight of the 70-200mm and had f2.8 speed and VR. Even a 50-135mm f2.8 VR would be OK. All the Nikon "travel" zooms are f5.6 lenses and VR does not compensate for the lack of f2.8 in terms of autofocus speed or the ability to photograph any subjects in motion, including landscapes with a breeze moving plants or people walking down the street.

My DX travel kit weighed 4 lbs. less than my equivalent FX kit and the differnce was with the weight of the lenses.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EKB
(unknown member)
EKB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
EKB
EKB
EKB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow