Why do most photographers prefer Manual over Aperture/Shutter Priority?

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
William Warby Regular Member • Posts: 155
Why do most photographers prefer Manual over Aperture/Shutter Priority?

I've been using an SLR for a good 6 or 7 years now and I think I understand the principals of exposure reasonably well, but there is something important missing in my knowledge of the subject because most photographers seem to prefer manual mode, and I hate it. Moreover I can't fathom why everyone doesn't hate it.

For almost every photo I take, I care about the aperture and beyond that I just want the shutter speed as fast as possible to make the image sharp. A lot of the time I just shoot with my aperture wide open and the lowest ISO I think I can get away with, given that my Olympus E-3 has pretty terrible high ISO performance. Often I just leave the ISO on auto (100-400), since the camera seems to do a fine job of balancing shutter speed and auto-ISO values to get a sharp exposure. Once in a while I want to do a long exposure on a landscape shot for example, in which case I care about the shutter speed and then I tend to set the ISO at 100 and use shutter priority to make the camera pick the aperture. In either case, correct exposure dictates that when I have chosen an aperture and ISO value, I have no choice about the shutter speed and vice versa, so why would I want to set all the values myself for every shot when the camera can just calculate those settings automatically in AP/SP modes?

On rare occasions when I have played with manual mode I find I'm continually changing shutter speed or aperture because as I move the light entering my camera changes, which generally means I take less photos and miss moments because I can't just raise the camera to my eye and take a photo without first checking the exposure value. I just can't see the advantage in Manual mode but since I am alone amongst my peers in feeling this way, it seems like I must have missed something. Can anybody tell me what it is?

William Warby's gear list:William Warby's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
fad
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow