What cheap m43 'kit lens' to use for the OM-D E-M1? I have the 4/3 12-60 F2.8-4.0..

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234
Re: What cheap m43 'kit lens' to use for the OM-D E-M1? I have the 4/3 12-60 F2.8-4.0..

DLGW wrote:

.. which I'll be using most of them, however it's a bit of a beast and doesn't autofocus in movie mode.

I'm currently leaning towards the original 14-42 from olympus as it's both very small, very light, and very cheap (all things the 12-60, bless it's beastly heart, isn't).

Is it any good? Are the other kit lens options from Oly or Panasonic much better?

The 12-40 f 2.8 looks like a cracker of a lens, but I'd miss the reach on the 12-60 and I don't want to spend the extra difference - and sometimes I just want something lighter and more portable and/or discreet.

I got a new de-kitted Olympus 14-42 RII lens for $80 on eBay (lucked out and the bidding stopped at that price).  I have no complaints with it; it seems plenty sharp for ordinary walk around photography.  I actually prefer it over the 12-50.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow