Olympus E-M1 from my POV

Started Dec 2, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,709
Olympus E-M1 from my POV

I have this camera for about a month now and have been taking it to shoot on weekends to learn and get used to its new features and capability.

This is the first mirror-less camera for me from the E-5 so I was overwhelmed with the way the menu and button customization work on these smaller space mirror-less. Simple task such as saving "Myset" took me some time to figure out with the helps from people on DPR forum. This does not work the same way the E-5 does; You have to assign the saved "Mysets" to a button or a Mode Dial of no value to you such as "Canvas", "iEnhance", etc... On the E-5, I just push the Mode button and all of Mysets would scroll across on the bottom.

I took the E-M1 the parks and the pastures to shoot perching birds and birds in flight. I had great success with stationary birds with the 50-200 SWD; the pictures came out perfectly exposed due to "what you see is what you get" from the EVF with great color and razor sharp focus. I used single point C-AF-Tr with reduced target area for bird shooting and it seems accurate and quicker than the E-5. I am not a BIF shooter and I did not have even good success with the E-5 but I think I did better with the E-M1. I think this was due to better focus point density and the improved C-AF-Tr feature. I don't have the big gun like the 300 F2.8 which people have different opinions on BIF. For me, the E-M1 is definitely a better camera than my E-5 for wildlife shooting.

Last Saturday I took the new camera and the 12-60 SWD lens to shoot an anniversary event in a dim lighted restaurant and was extremely happy with the outcome. The E-M1 handled the dancing and the party crowd beautifully with and without the FL-50 flash. Everything was properly or close enough exposed with sharply focused and much less high-ISO noises. I shot the celebrated couple behind the flowers and cake table against a strong back lighted glass window and these turned out dozen of my favorite shots. Again, the feature that makes this work for me was the WYSIWYG from the viewfinder. I can see and compensate both the highlight and shadow on the fly without taking frequent test shots like I did with the E-5. The E-M1 is a winner for me on this situation.

Third successful trip I took was to the country in Brookshire, Texas for a shoot with just my wife and me. I set the camera in tripod and used the "OI.Share" feature on my android phone to remotely self portrait shoot me and my wife against a beautiful fall foliage winding country road. To me, this is the best feature period! I used the 50-200 SWD, set it to 100mm at 20 feet away to get beautiful bokeh, posed ourselves by looking on the phone screen, tapped on one of the face, put the phone on the pocket, waited four seconds, and it was done! To prepare for the shot, I paired the phone with IO.Share then set the timer along with aperture, ISO and compensation. I did not have to pre-focus because the focus was done at the moment the picture was taken; it was done by tapping the person face on the phone screen. I can remember people was wishing for tether shooting for the E-3/E-5; folks! Olympus has answered to my needs with this. Well done Olympus!

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1
16 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Sep 10, 2013
joeletx's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow