Df disappointment

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ranalli
ranalli Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
Re: Df disappointment

Mizudori wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

jetstream wrote:

You missed the point... as stated earlier, having dual card slot is nice, but I was just trying to demonstrate (with a tad of humor) that it wasn't as important as you seem to advocate: not buying a camera because that feature is missing is a bit extreme... memory card failures do happen, but are extremely rare, the dual card slot feature might even fail more frequently than a memory card itself... If you're looking for redundancy, you need to duplicate equipment that is most likely to fail in the 1st place: camera body with lenses and flash, now having 2 cameras both featuring dual card slot is nice, but not the 1st thing to think of...

Well carrying two cameras and extra lenses is a no-brainer for important work

I've never heard of a card slot failing to write to a card aside from bent pins in CF slots but any component can fail, is a dual slot more likely to fail than a single slot? well there's two slots so you're doubling you changes of either failing I guess.

the point is that memory cards can fail, by having a second card acting as a backup to the first you reduce the risk of memory card/slot/card reader corrupting images

I don't think Df is really targeting pro-users who need and depend on the camera/data for work.

Those will probably get a D4 and expense/amortize it, or some flavor of D3, or D800, or even a D600...the working photographer has plenty of options. (note even the D700 was single slot though)

The Df is probably more for leisure photography, where you can take the time to ponder your composition while taking your eye off the finder to set up all your dials between shots as you soak in the fleeting nature of the moment you are trying to capture in time...

If once in a blue moon your card fails for whatever reason, it's not the end of the world and you haven't ruined someone's wedding day memories and you don't get backlash on twitter about what an unreliable service you provide and loose all your business as a result.

Exactly...well said.

ranalli's gear list:ranalli's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow