Df disappointment

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,927
Re: Lightweight Does Not Equal Weak

Thoughts R Us wrote:

There's a myth that any product that is lightweight is somehow not as durable as a heavier item. Related to this myth is that non-metal materials, like plastics, are always less durable than metal.

Sometimes a lightweight item is very tough. Sometimes a plastic item is very tough. Some of the toughest materials in the world are plastic.

I remember a while ago looking at a Bang and Olufsen landline phone. It was extremely light and felt like a plastic toy compared to the phones of that day. Yet a B&O rep demonstrated to me how strong it was; he smashed the headset multiple times against a hard countertop. Not only did the headset come out undamaged, but we laughed because it actually created a chip in the countertop. If you had told me that lightweight, plasticky phone would have been stronger than a very hard and heavy countertop, I would have thought it crazy. Yet it was true.

So just because the Df feels light, and isn't some heavy metal all over, does not make it weak or less durable. On the contrary, it may be extremely durable. Given that all Nikon cameras tend to be very durable, I would expect the same from the Df.

I agree with everything you say in general principle.  However, there is a weak point with plastic camera bodies.  The weak point is the lens mount.  As I understand it the lens mount on the D610 and Df are screwed into plastic, whereas the D800 is screwed into metal.  If this is the case then this is an important difference.  Plastic on the rest of the body is fine.  But I don't like the idea of plastic around the lens mount.

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow