Anyone for separate FF & APSc DPR forums?

Started Nov 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,447
Sony's confusing world

I think E-mount vs. A-mount has been an important distinction because so many more legacy lenses can work with E-mount. However, A-mount lenses are first-class E-mount citizens using a Sony-made adapter.... One could argue for FF vs. APS-C being the real distinction on that basis. Oddly, FF E-mount even has its own name: FE-mount... whereas A-mount never distinguished between FF and APS-C only lenses in the mount name.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Sony is a taxonomy-defying company. It's actually their defining characteristic in the current market. There really isn't a natural partitioning of their products into groups.

The annoying thing I've noted is that only a small fraction of posts convey useful info, and those are usually followed by a burst of brand-biased-folks indicating their displeasure. I don't think any repartitioning of fora would be likely to change that. Sadly, DPReview's disturbingly poor ratio is still way better than most fora involving photography and photographic equipment.

So, in sum, be thankful things are as good as they are here and try to ignore the noise....  

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
(unknown member)
SDF
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow