Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Habs Fan27 Contributing Member • Posts: 734
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

absh wrote:

My only suggestion is to determine how useful a somewhat expensive manual lens might be to you. You are probably going to pay around 200$ for one. At 1.4 and even 2.0, any lens is tough to manually focus accurately as DOF is thin. Probably better for static subjects but not kids. When you nail the focus at 1.4, its very special. But in general use, i find it a little tight indoors and I'm more of an autofocus type person but I'm trying to practice to get better at manual focusing.

Yeah, true that. This as well applies to the 38mm f/1.8 version which I already own (and it's a great lens, despite being quite soft wide open). Thought of trying the 40mm f/1.4 too, if I ever find it at a reasonable price.

I had the 38mm as well but found the 40mm sharper and generally a better lens (except it's bigger).  My 38mm did have some coating issues but I don't think it would make a difference in sharpness.

I just got (today!) a Sigma 30mm 2.8 and a Canon 50mm Fd 1.4 as forpetesake posted above.  I am going to keep the Sigma for sure as this is a good focal length for everyday use + autofocus.  Between the 40mm Pen and 50mm Canon FD SSC, I will probably keep one of the 2.  Some people are lens collectors and may get more use out of them.  If the Canon 50mm is close enough to the Pen, I'll pocket the difference and keep the Canon.  I thought the size of the 40mm would make me want to have it on my camera more.  I'll let you know how I do but it might take a while.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow