Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

Started Sep 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
zink
zink Contributing Member • Posts: 582
Re: Olympus Pen F 40mm 1.4 comments

forpetessake wrote:

Habs Fan27 wrote:

absh wrote:

As said, I had two versions of the 40/1.4, a Pen-F and a younger FT version.

Can you share how to tell them apart?

You have to look to see if it has the 'FT' scale on the aperture ring. Once will have the aperture number (1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, etc). The other side of the ring (180 degrees) with have numbers numbers corresponding to an exposure value for FT cameras (1,2,3,4....).

I also think the the older lenses have a amber/brownish coating while the newer lenses are more of a blue/purple coating. The one I ended up getting was the older version but it was still very sharp. It's sharper at 1.4 than any other lens I've used wide open.

G.Zuiko is a pretty good lens, but in my testing it has pretty much the same sharpness as Canon FD 50/1.4. Canon though has better contrast and less flare. Unless size/weigh is more important I would recommend Canon, it's also significantly cheaper. Due to the age of the lenses it's also easier to find Canon than Olympus lens in good shape. Both lenses are somewhat behind SEL5018 at F/2, but Zuiko and Canon have better bokeh, better character, especially on portraits shots.

There is no way the Canon FD 50/1.4 is as sharp as the little Zuiko at f/1.4. I have had both the SSC version and the FDn version of the 50/1.4. The FDn version was a little bit less creamy at f/1.4, but could show a lot of purple fringing. The only thing the Canon does better is getting the corners as sharp as the center when stopped down. But on the plus side of the Zuiko: no CA or purple fringing, already sharp wide open, much smaller and lighter on the NEX. Yes, it is more expensive and is a bit less flare resistant, but the Pen-f 40/1.4 turns the NEX into a very special camera.

Zuiko 40/1.4 wide open on a very dark day

Zuiko 40/1.4 at f/4

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow