Tips for handheld night outdoor city shooting?

Started Nov 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
LincolnB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,346
Re: Ah, yes, a gear list would be helpful :) ...

jalywol wrote:

LincolnB wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Camera is EM1,

Lenses: I was figuring on using the 12-40mm f 2.8, if I could, however after dark, I have the 12mm f2, 14mm f2.5, and 25mm f1.4. I do have the 45mm f1.8, but I think that might be too long?

-J

I'd go with the 25mm and a speedlight.

Unfortunately, I have no external flash, just the puny thing that comes with the camera . It's one of those things I have been thinking about getting for a long time, but I do so little low light work that it just hasn't been a high priority....

The speedlights I use only cost $40. They've been a godsend on numerous occasions.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-TT560-Speedlite-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004LEAYXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385437682&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+tt560

I was thinking that if I could use the ambient light (streetlights, storefronts), it might give the shots kind of a neat character, too. I would expect that subject motion blur is going to be an issue, though....

Yes, I suspect you're right. Without a tripod and without extra light and without a high-iso camera like a 5D Mark III ... you're setting yourself up for a difficult time. At least you have fairly fast glass.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow