Samples GM1 with 20mm 1.7 in action

Started Nov 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeremy_T Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
Re: Samples GM1 with 20mm 1.7 in action

safaridon wrote:

WRONG - With the mechanical shutter speed of 1/500th sec will cover all lenses up to 250mm focal length (effective 500mm) so just fine for the teles designed for it. Just how often will you really need a faster shutter speed - rarely except in very bright situations where electronic shutter fine if excluding very fast movement. While I might use 1/1000 sec for very fast action if available. based on data from pictures 1/500th sec fine for medium tele range and lower ISO.

I reckon the biggest concern is trying to shoot wide open in good light with fast primes to generate a shallow DOF. ND filters are always an option for this situation (and I've used ND filters on the cameras with 1/4000 max shutter speed already; now we'll need stronger ND filters with the GM1).

I'm actually curious how usable the electronic shutter is. Being able to take pictures of mostly static subjects at higher shutter speeds without needing an ND filter might actually be more valuable to me than having a lower max shutter speed for action shots. Dunno yet. I should get mine on Tuesday and see how it goes

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
REJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow