What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,185
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

jfriend00 wrote:

calson wrote:

The D7100 has great IQ in low light shooting, has the f8 autofocus sensors which helps to focus in low light or with telephoto lenses and it shoot HD video.

A FX lens means longer and heavier and more expensive lenses. A 70-200mm on the D7100, as with your D300 functions much like a 105-300mm f2.8 zoom, and this is great for sports photography day or night.

FYI, the f/8-capable auto-focus sensors means that it will handle AF when the angle of view of the light rays coming from the lens is only f/8 (typically happens when using a teleconverter - like a 2x converter on an f/4 lens). This is a separate issue from actual AF performance in low light. I know they sound like the same thing, but are not.

I shoot week in and week out with a friend who uses a D300s and I have yet to see him take better images in low light focus wise than me on a D7100. The D800 is an order better IQ and AF wise in low light and for action the 1.2 crop mode gives 5fps with a decent buffer. I can't honestly say I have missed peak action at that frame rate much at all. The IQ  at 1.2 crop is still amazing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow