What is the best mid-tele zoom lens (~40-150 range)?

Started Nov 23, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biggles266 Senior Member • Posts: 1,082
What is the best mid-tele zoom lens (~40-150 range)?

Hello, is there a generally accepted lens considered the best in this range for m43? I don't want to know about the upcoming f2.8 lens from Olympus - it's not available yet and will be very expensive and big.

I would like one that is nice and light (and pretty cheap) but gets me out to 150mm. And it has to be sharp - I can't stand unsharp lenses. I looked at the Lumix 45-200mm lens (since I don't mind going to 200mm instead of 150mm), but its sharpness was awful at the longer end, so it's out. What focal length the lens starts from doesn't really matter.

I use slrgear for my lens reviews/analysis, but they don't have a clear winner in this category. There is a lens which I was wondering may be the best one, and it hasn't been tested yet by slrgear. I'm thinking of the Olympus 40-150mm 4-5.6 R.

I'm planning on getting an Olympus body, so for in-camera lens correction an Olympus lens would probably be preferred. But basically I just want to know what the best lens in this category is.

Thanks.

p.s. I am also considering the 100-300mm, but it is bigger, heavier and more expensive. Basically I want to weigh up choosing between the 100-300mm and the best x-150mm lens, that's why I'm after the answer to the question above.

biggles266's gear list:biggles266's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +14 more
ANSWER:
Olympus FE-20 (C-25 / X-15)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow