I love my NEX but...

Started Nov 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amamba
Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: I love my NEX but...

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Just an FYI, but the image quality in Canon's consumer DSLRs is generally terrible. 90% of them use the same 5yr old sensor. My old Nikon D90 beat that, and the 16MP NEX sensor is insanely better. The 70D's new sensor isn't much of an improvement, either. I had an EOS M (also the same old Canon sensor), and I sold it because I couldn't stand the image quality, coming from Nikon cameras. Same reason I picked up a NEX-6 (Nikon D7000 sensor), and am loving every second of it.

I am quite in disagreement with this,

canon outperformed Nikon cameras especially on the APS-C. There is just no history between the xxDs and the D90. Serioulsy...

I was happy owner of the NEX 6 but trutfully its output auqlity ain't no better than a Canon xxD.

The T2i and D90 were released at around the same time. Until the D90, Canon may have outperformed Nikon, but the D90 was a massive step forward for Nikon. It was considered part of their 2nd generation of cameras, along with the D300 and D3. They pretty much helped Nikon win over a lot of the market from Canon because of major improvements in just about every category over their predecessors.

I actually compared my D90 shots before I put the EOS M up for sale, and they put the final nail in the M's coffin. I could recover shadows even at ISO 6400 (max ISO), where the M would bring up banding even at base ISO. Their color also looked more natural, where Canon tended to emphasize reds and cyans. I could deal with the slow AF and menu-driven interface, but the end result wasn't worth it. Really, the only advantage the 18MP sensor held was resolution, which was pretty amazing for its time, but resolution was also what held back its quality.

TThen the D7000 came out, and it was light years beyond canon's 18MP sensor with endless shadow recovery and great highlight recovery. The 24MP D7100 is still noticeably ahead of Canon's new 20MP sensor in resolution and quality, with 2.5 stops of highlight recovery and around 4 stops of shadows. Not to mention no AA filter. Believe me, if Canon's IQ was good enough, I would've switched, since their AF seems to be slightly better than Nikon's, at least in good lighting.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I shot Canon for 7 years, and after a brief stint with Nikon D5200 I returned it to store and never looked back. I have all Nex now but I'd go back to Canon in a heartbeat was it not for size. I like their skin tones the best, the AF is way more accurate, even their entry level lenses are very good (unlike the terribly soft 18-55 VR), the difference in high ISO abilities is rather negligible in the real world situations. About the only two advantages Nikon had were wider dynamic range, and the clever way to set max auto iso.

And of course the lenses. Both Nikon and Canon have sweet high end lenses, but with Canon you can get great results cheaply. Canon EF 85/1.8 is an awesome portrait lens with creamy bokeh and fastest focusing I ever used, for mere $360 new. The only lens which literally required no post straight out of camera - so sharp and accurate. Canon EF55-250 IS is a steal used for $150, very good IQ and surprisingly good bokeh for such a cheap lens. The 18-55 IS kit was already very good optically, and the new STM version is even better.

Now, I am sure that with D800 and a midrange lens I would love shooting Nikon. But with kit lens and D5200, straight out of camera results were terrible, way worse than what I came to expect from a modern DSLR.

I traded Canon for Sony because of size and weight, the ability to use old manual lenses (something I had to get out of my system), and better low light results on static objects with 50/1.8 OSS - I can't think of an equally fast C anon mount stabilized prime for $250. But I still like Canon a lot. And going through my photos from the last couple of years, I just ddon't see a major difference in high ISO shots vs NEC 6: if anything, Canon is more likely to acquire critical focus on moving subjects in near darkness, while Sony has faster stabilized lenses that would produce better results on static objects. The biggest disadvantage of Canon - to me - is the size. Not IQ.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow