Get this: Sigma WILL produce a camera that beats the current DSLRs resolution wise. Locked

Started Nov 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Laurence Matson
Laurence Matson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,913
Reflection: On a full-frame Sigma dSLR

Michihiro-sama told me directly that his stated goal always was to produce a Sigma FF dSLR. End of story. This was soon after the release of the Kodak C at Cebit in 2004. He said that once you have looked through the viewfinder of a FF dSLR and then see those results, there is no going back.

Of course, there is someone else in charge at the moment. And it is therefore up to Kazuto-sama to develop, foster and further his vision. Each step along that path takes time.

Some things to consider in this development process:

- Where is the fab that can produce such an imager? Before dismissing this concern, do some research and count those that can produce FF or larger imagers. Note who they belong to. The current partners could do so if they are willing to make a massive investment. Otherwise, it is hard to imagine the current FF imager fabs doing so if they are directly owned by one of the major current FF manufacturers or are in a limiting strategic partnership. This problem should not be underestimated. It is solvable, but not simply by placing an order.

- In-camera processing. The current cameras function pretty much at the speed and volume of earlier SD cameras in relative terms (with the exception of the often unappreciated SD15 with its large buffer and lightning fast predictive focus). It is entirely possible to increase the processing capacity to match that benchmark. Whether a leap will be taken to even faster processing is hard to predict. It is sort of out of step with what has been undertaken until now.

- Post-processing power. There will be the usual yowls and screams about how slow SPP is on most computers when processing such files (losslessly compressed raw at around 80-110 MB each) unless one has 8 cores or more and 32 GB of ram or more. An SSD drive for the program and as a cache would help a lot. SPP finally being able to use the GPU for processing would speed things up.

- Cost-efficiencies. I don't think we need to be as concerned about yield ratios. These have improved in all areas of chip manufacturing, so price concerns related to yields are less critical than even five years ago. Development cost efficiencies have also resulted. For instance, has everyone forgotten this:
http://pcsemicon.blogspot.com/2010/07/foveon-switches-to-galaxy-custom.html
That single move helped shave masses of time (relatively speaking) and shed considerable costs (again,  relatively speaking) from the development process. Retaping edits were one of the most common causes of imager production delays.

- Usefulness. To be honest, the current imager is pretty amazing as it is. For printers, a 26x17.4 inch image is possible at 180 dpi. Since the first one of these that I did in 2010, I never fail to be amazed at the presence and feel these images have in print. Nothing touches them imnsho. So would a FF add to that? I think so. I have done enough testing of different output levels to understand that the same image at 360 dpi would have an even greater presence. And taking it to 720 dpi and smaller would also be very special. Trouble comes for the matrix shooters. Gathering so much information per image means covering a large section of the resulting output. This means greater difficulty blending images where there are changing conditions. (We recently had a discussion on just this problem with the sailboats in the harbor.) But if I could snap off a few of these babies quickly and fill the 7-shot buffer with 6,000x24,500 finished pixels, then I will be done and out of there. Two rows, and I have a good excuse to buy a 64-inch printer. And then the new house to hang this stuff. Gargantuanism rules.

- Optics. Sigma have shown recently that they are capable of producing astounding lenses, as many others have stated as well. I have no doubt that a new 12-24 would emerge that would bend these photons just right. And then the rest would follow.

- Pixel size. Merrill said that his pixels have an inherent advantage in the end game. Greater information gathered at each spatial location has always produced a better image; disregarding all of the negative things we like to perceive, of course.

None of this is a prediction, so I am rescinding my bragging rights before I even try to claim them.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Laurence Matson's gear list:Laurence Matson's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro H
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow