What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Disagreeing on AF ...

lock wrote:

If the 1.5 manual crop on a D610 is sufficient (~10 mp left over) you might consider that first. I know you may doubt the AF. But really, only if you wish to use the full range of 51 points there is true difference. Once you start te restrict yourself to the smaller pack of AF points because you want the fastest AF (I use the 9-point dynamic on d300 and d7100 and used the same one on the D600) it is hard to find a practical difference.

I would disagree with the reasoning about AF: The 51 point AF is overall somwhat better then the 39 point one at following moving subjects, and very noticeably so in weak light. And this also when you use just 9-point or even a single focus point.

I agree the D600 and D610 have great sensors for low light photography, as did the D7000 by the way. But when you get into weak light situations where you realy utlilize the sensor, the 39 point AF have trouble keeping up. That is to me one of the most marked differences between the D7000 and the D7100. I have shot sports, wildlife and concerts with both (and with the D600), and the 51 point AF in the D7100 is noticeably better when the light gets tough.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow