Get this: Sigma WILL produce a camera that beats the current DSLRs resolution wise. Locked

Started Nov 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 19,900
Re: Get this: Sigma WILL produce a camera that beats the current DSLRs resolution wise.

Omexis wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Omexis wrote:

1. Sigma do their own thing. The other manufacturers have already patented "Foveon" style sensors if rumors are correct and it won't be long until the others follow suit.

Others follow suit... with more patents that never lead to real products? How frightening for Sigma to compete against cameras that never ship and other people's random ideas of how to make a layered sensor that have never seen a production line or real world image capture.

Well I would like to think that is the future, I agree patents don't mean much, but if Sigma can do it, then why can't others?

Didn't say they can't.  Just that they haven't, and now they won't.  The entire camera industry is in major trouble, and literally unable to spend the R&D needed to bring a working multi-layer sensor to market at this point.

If Apple filed such a patent, I would start to think there might be a possibility.

2. Yes that was bad, due to sensor manufacturing defects, I guess low yield and possibly try to recuperate R&D costs bumped the price up, but I guess sigma had to start to sell the camera to generate profit, once the defects were worked out they could lower the price, but it put potential people off from buying it.

Nope (well the price being bad part was accurate, the rest totally baseless speculation that makes no sense given public facts).

What part was not accurate?

All parts (minus the one I mentioned).

and what public facts?

The claims against the actual price drops for one thing.  The cost of an entire camera drops by an order of magnitude because of vague problems in sensor manufacturing?  No.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow